The Federal Government on Tuesday applied to withdraw the charge of illegal possession of firearms filed against the suspended governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele.
Director of Public Prosecutions at the Federal Ministry of Justice Mohammed Bakodo Abubakar who approached the federal high court in Ikoyi with an oral application said the withdrawal followed the result of further investigations.
READ ALSO: Forex: CBN moves to stop naira free fall
Abubakar however disclosed that said fresh charges with 20 counts had been filed against Emefiele at the Federal High Court, Abuja.
He made this known while speaking with journalists after the day’s proceedings.
On July 25, Emefiele was arraigned on a two-count charge bordering on “illegal possession of firearms” at a federal high court in Ikoyi, Lagos.